Wednesday, January 10, 2007

They're So Little....


I have a confession to make. I've made it several times to several audiences already because it's therapeutic to talk about it.
I spanked this beautiful little boy. I learned the truth in the cliche, "This hurts me worse than it hurts you." It's so very true. I could have cried when I did it, but I had to.
Yes, I had to.
Why?
Well it started on a Sunday night at church services. He was being very fussy and contrary, so I took him back out of the auditorium. He continued to be very fussy. When I wouldn't let him down to play (because it's not play time) he kicked and hit me.
After I was sure he did it intentionally (because he did it again) I gave him a few swats on the back of the leg. It got his attention but I didn't really hit him very hard. I couldn't bring myself to do that and I wanted to be very sure I was in control of my emotions and wasn't spanking him out of my anger.
Parenting is doggone hard. I think that's probably the first time I've said that. Because frankly I think it's been easier than I expected up to this point. There have been difficult times for certain, but all in all the challenge has been very doable. But now I've glimpsed into the future and seen that he is very capable of throwing some Vesuvius-esque fits. And that scares me just a bit because I wonder how I'll handle them.
The ironic thing about the spanking is that he forgot about it in no time at all I'm sure. But I've thought about it for over a week now. I was really hoping that would be something he wouldn't need until he was about 23 years old. Then I could just tell him to punish himself.
More Babies!!!!
No, not for us. But I wanted to say on here congratulations to Cort & Laurie on the birth of baby Simon.
Also, congratulations to Jeff & Jessica on their pregnancy.
And to Jaxon and Gretchen who don't even know this blog exists.
And to Joey and Kim who likewise don't know this blog exists.
So many babies...so little space!!

No comments: