Monday, January 22, 2007

Growing and Growing



There's been something going on lately. Our son has been eating like a horse on a steroid binge and has been sleeping more and more. He took a nap Rip Van Winkle would envy on Saturday when he slept for over 3 hours.

When your child takes a three hour nap, you usually prepare for a short night of sleep. Nope. He even slept a little bit late on Sunday morning.

So what's going on? Obviously the first thing that came to my mind was that he was addicted to marijuana. After searching his nursery for contraban, paraphernalia and incense, I decided that was a dead end. (And remember kids, drugs always have a dead end.)

Then I considered that it may be a growth spurt. So this morning when getting him dressed I noticed that he was really taking up a lot of the changing pad. So my wife and I got out the measuring tape and did a quick measure on the dining room table. And voila, he's grown 2+ inches since his 1 year checkup in November.

So we're not as concerned about him brining home drugs from daycare now, but we'll continue to keep an eye on it. There are some older kids there. 2-3 year olds. And I don't have to tell you what kinds of problems they can get themselves caught up in.

In all seriousness, I was relieved to see that there was some growth that was vertical. The way he's been eating I was starting to think we were raising this generation's Fat Albert.

Until next time, "HEY! HEY! HEY, EVERYBODY!"

No comments: