Tuesday, December 12, 2006

My Cartoons vs. His Cartoons

I like...











He likes....










I like...













He likes...














And thus I relent. I have to face facts that being raised on He-Man, Thundercats, Looney Tunes, G.I. Joe, and Voltron (later on Animaniacs, The Tick and Eek! the Cat) probably didn't do much to edify my inclination toward watching educational cartoons. But the evolution of cartoons is something that's great as a parent. Now you don't have to feel bad about letting your kid zombie out for a little bit.

I'll grant you that there have to be limits. We don't just turn the T.V. on and turn our parenting skills off. Playhouse Disney actually helps us interact a bit with a few of their shows. And he learns from them too.

But I like to watch the silly shows sometimes too. I think silliness is underrated. But I digress.

What Playhouse Disney does is amp up the interaction. Asking the viewer questions, waiting for the answer, asking the viewer to do some physical action, then applauding the action. It's really great for kids to have that rather than just mindless entertainment. And this coming from a guy who doesn't like Disney. I was a Looney Tunes guy. I liked violence like Foghorn Leghorn or Wile E. Coyote.

But I appreciate the educational entertainment industry. It doesn't take the place of playing with the kids or reading to them, but it's a nice accessory to those things.

That being said, I like mindless entertainment too.

No comments: