Friday, December 08, 2006

StoryTime!!!


There's one man who makes parenting a much easier job. One man who in modern history shaped our lives in my generation and generations before, more than any other literary figure. And that man is Dr. Seuss.

Reading to your child is a wonderful pastime for a variety of reasons. It gives you quality time. It gives you a chance to cuddle with your little one. It helps them to hear and hopefully expand their own vocabulary.

When our son began saying his first words we began the ritutal of reading a book to him every night. Mostly short books like If You Give a Pig a Pancake and Moo, Baa, La La La. But I'm a big, big fan of Seuss.

My wife doesn't read Seuss as much because they're usually nearly 50 pages. I find them to be a quick read and they give me an opportunity to teach my son something else: rhythm.

The great thing about Seuss is that his writing style not only helped kids with their vocabulary, spelling, and phonics, but it was written with a rhythm. This month in particular I've read How the Grinch Stole Christmas a couple times already. Anyone in my generation who reads that book reads it in the way it was recited in the 30 minute TV special. And we try our best to mimic the Grinch's voice. We may even sing a few bars of You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch.

So today a special shout out to Dr. Seuss. Seuss, Theodore Geisel, passed away over 15 years ago and still has a profound impact on today's children. I love reading his books for my son, and frankly for myself.

From there to here, From here to there, Funny things are everywhere.

No comments: