Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Working from the Home



Some people may ask, "How young is too young to put your child to work helping earn the family income?" I say if they can sit up, they can help out.

Our son has his own internet based business selling used pacifiers and refurbished diaper Genies. It gives him something to do and the extra income comes in handy. We snapped this picture of him on an average workday.

Actually I wanted to post today to announce a breakthrough. The breakthrough has nothing to do with this picture, but I needed to get a new pic of him up, so I just grabbed one off the hard drive.

Our son is now eating table food as if he's always liked it. The baby sitter reported that yesterday he ate chicken nuggets, corn and applesauce for lunch. Last night we had tacos. No, we did not give our one year old tacos and refried beans. That is a recipe for a sleepless night if I've ever heard one. We gave him a banana. The whole banana. Then we gave him some Cheerios (or Baby Crack as I call them) to top the meal off with a ice cold sippee cup of whole milk to wash it down.

My wife and I were talking last night after putting him to bed. We both think its been amazing how fast he's learning. It's like he's a young Doogie Howser (without that annoying Vinnie popping in through the bedroom window at night.) In the last two weeks he's learned clapping, patting, waving, kissing, eating with a spoon, shapes, how to pet the kitty (with nice hands) and the joy of chicken nuggets (thank you McDonald's for introducing the world to your tasty chicken nuggets that come in only two shapes, boots and circles.)

Every parent wants to think that their child is exceptional. I'm sure I will one day too. But today I don't really think he is nor do I care. He's happy, healthy, and smart. That's a blessing.

One more thing to blog about today briefly. Aiden has learned his patting and other motions from mimicking what he sees on Disney's Little Einstein's TV program. It occurred to me this morning in the shower (who doesn't do their best thinking in the shower?!?) that it is oh so important to pay close attention to what's on your TV. If a boy who is no more than 56 weeks old can mimic what's on TV, then any child can.

No comments: