Wednesday, May 31, 2006

How Do They Do It?

I don't know how these father's do it.

I'm talking about the ones who just ignore their children and toss everything onto the young mother. The audacity it takes to say "Let her do it" is as selfish as it is stupid.

I know of a guy who is taking just such a stance with his first child. I think the blame can be spread onto both parents here. He's a selfish and naive sort to put himself and his "needs" ahead of those of the baby and mother. I've been raised to believe and have understood from scripture that the true meaning of love has more to do with serving the ones you love than feeling butterflies in your stomach.

The mother owns some blame too for letting this happen. If there's ever a justifiable time to be selfish for a woman, it's after giving birth. I know she's still sore, I know her body is recovering from the most radical and rapid changes it will ever incur, and I know that caring for an infant is exhausting.

I'm no sage and my wisdom is more than offset by my ignorance, but I'm old and wise enough to see that these are not only formative years for my son, but for me and my character as I grow into the man I'll be for the rest of my life. I feel angry toward and sorry for those men who take the first few years off. Shame on you for missing changes that occur faster than a J-lo relationship. And what a pity that will never be able to relive or recreate the many, many moments that make each day of parenthood worthwhile.

Now, someone help me off this soapbox.

No comments: