Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Tuesday, Bloody Tuesday


There's nothing like being the parent that most often injurs the baby.

The first time I injured our son I was trying to carry him in his baby papasan from the computer room to the living room. I lost grip on one side of the papasan and dropped the whole thing. He tumbled out and hit his head. He screamed and screamed. I felt like the biggest jerk/clutz in the world. He calmed down after about 5-10 minutes (each minute passing slower than the average hour) and he showed no ill effects afterward.

Well today I cemented my place as top injurer. I was coming in from a nice morning run and my son was just waking up. He was typically giddy. I picked him up from the basinet and took him into the nursery. We had just changed his diaper when I noticed a big scratch on his face. The fingernails had gotten too long again, so I thought I'd trim them.

The doc recommends a pair of small scissors. A good eye by the old doc. However, I couldn't find said scissors, so I used the clippers. Very successfully I might add. Up until I was trimming one last fingernail (index finger on the left hand for those who like details.) I clipped, he cried, he bled. Oh boy did he bleed. I didn't previously know that apparently 90% of an infant's bloodflow is in his left index finger tip.

So I'm still in the lead. Still injurring my son at a far greater pace than my beautiful wife, who seems to do very little wrong. It's rather intimidating. But we're still struggling through. The little one stopped bleeding eventually and now I'm sure it's just sore.

By the way, if there's not already infant sized bandages on the market, someone needs to tap that idea and make millions.

No comments: