Friday, April 07, 2006

Money

The proverbial root of all evil (actually it's the "love of money" that is given that distinction.)
Rich people have it and don't need it. Poor people want it and can't get it. I'm somewhere in between and getting much nearer the latter.

A very foolish thing I did while my wife was pregnant was failing to save for medical bills. They come from all sides. The birth of our son through Cesaerian section delivery, coupled with a few days in the hospital, and adding in the surgery my wife had not long after makes for lots of the pesky bills.

Hospitals are nice enough to send you bills a few at a time. They don't believe in saving trees in the medical profession. They'd rather send you one bill for this, one bill for that, and another bill for anything this or that might not have included.

In all seriousness the medical bills can get burdensome. Insurance helps, but doesn't eliminate the problem. You pay what you can and they won't repossess your house, but it does add to the stress factor. One of the early lessons learned in parenthood is how to control your stress levels and keep your frustration in check. That's a tough one to learn when you've got a screaming baby, a pile of bills and a worried wife.

Here are a few tips from an old pro (first baby, not even five montsh in and I think I'm a know-it-all!):
1. Get a good book before the baby is born. I recommend grabbing a copy of The Expectant Father as soon as you learn your wife is pregnant. Its a big help.
2. Listen to it. The book offers good advice on saving money and preparing for the birth. Don't be like me. Heed that advice and save up as much money as you can. I'd say somewhere near $2000-$3000 will put in you good shape with those med bills. Depending on your situation, that may be difficult. But do what you can.
3. If the med bills get to be a bit much, talk to them and try to set up a payment plan you can handle. Remember, they want their money, so it's in their interest to work with you.
4. Talk with your spouse. Be honest and open. Don't try to hide how things are and if you need to buckle down, discuss that with her. Pray about it, and work as a team. God gave us a helper for a reason.
5. Budget. I'm still working on this, and frankly, need to dedicate myself to it more thoroughly. I recommend software programs like Microsoft Money or Quicken. They will provide you with reports on how you're spending and help you construct a budget. Some even have debt reduction plans. Those are especially handy.

2 comments:

Nestor Family said...

Awesome tips... we were lucky enough to have some good insurance for both of our boys' births. A prayer goes out to you. Keep up the good "daddying!"

Travis said...

When you lay out a budget and see that you have more expenses than income, something has to be done.

If I'm forced to get a second job, it won't be for wiggle room or spending money. All of that cash will go to pay off medical bills. When those are pared down, I'm done.

I also don't plan on keeping the job for long. Maybe just the summer. I hate to do it, but if I have to, then I will.

Thanks for the advice.