Wednesday, June 21, 2006

SuperDad


Last night my wife fought through my red tape and managed to leave the house for an evening out. My household bureaucracy needs work. That was way too easy.

Alright, actually I was glad she was able to get out and enjoy herself away from the stress of a young parent's household. But that left just me and baby. What a terrifying prospect. But I was able to rise and meet the challenge like a man conquering Everest. I proved myself when it counted. I had my one shining moment (patent pending per CBS.)

In reality the challenge wasn't that daunting. My son was especially good. I got to eat without him fussing, which is more rare than a good Bill Paxton movie. We went for a nice walk. Visited with some friends in the adjacent neighborhood. I dare say it was easy.

The point of this however is to hammer home a point I make nearly every week on this blog. Nothing can take the place of spending a lot of time with your baby. Nothing. Quality time over quantity time is a myth. You need both simultaneously.

We found out yesterday some good friends of ours are now expecting their first child. I may actually be more giddy than they are. Why? Because I know how much joy and fun awaits them. Just a bit over seven months (and two teeth) into the process I don't care to remember what life was like before my son was born. I've always enjoyed life. After I married my wife life got even better. Now it's clearing the stratosphere and gets better nearly every day. It's not a daily walk through a rose garden, but the highs outweigh the lows like Jaba the Hut outweighed Leia.

So if my friends are reading this, congratulations from my family to yours. We're happy and excited for you and we'll pray for everything to go well. I trust in God that it will.

Hey! I finally got that picture of my son and his cousin loaded. It's going to be a swell day!

2 comments:

Orelinde_03 said...

You have a beautiful son...and nice looking young nephew. May God bless your family and your home.

Travis said...

Thank you very much. I think quite a bit of both of them. They certainly are a blessing.