Wednesday, September 06, 2006

You Musta Been a Beautiful Baby...

Putting aside our shame, my wife and I entered our son in a baby contest last month. I hesitated putting the picture up on here mostly because I don't want readers forming any poor opinions of us. We're just not the pageant types. But as the contest was at the community day of my hometown and my mother encouraged us to enter him we did.

The contest affirmed what we already knew. That our son was the cutest boy age 6-12 months in the community of Dundee, Ky. Ok, we may put him on a slightly higher pedastal than that. Especially considering he only had one opponent.

So I'll wax psychological here and wonder why there are people who "need" to put their children in contest. No, I'm not talking about baby contests. I think those are pretty harmless as a whole. Everyone thinks their baby is cute, so you ask some judge to confirm that. Well if they don't, you call them a backwards, nearsighted, yellow bellied coward of a hick and move on. No harm, no foul.

But the people who have been documented on HBO specials who envelope their children in "beauty" pageants. The example of the Ramsey family is the first that jumps to one's mind. But that's far too tragic a story to tread upon with such brevity. I just wonder if its something in the parents that needs to be fulfilled. Why do you need someone to confirm to you how special your child is?

I guess until I shrink and crawl inside the head of these folks, I'll just never know. So for now I'll assume we're not parents who "need" such confirmation. But for any Dundee-ans who are reading this, just know, we're number one! That's right!

No comments: